Custom Search

From the Author

Let us pause for a while and take a peek at the fascinating wonders of nature, the majesty and the glory of God's creation and the spectacle of human engineering. Unfortunately, I cannot go to these places in as much as I want to so, I’m just taking this virtual expedition. I hope you can join me in this online adventure.

-Arnel S. Oroceo, the Author


Friday, August 5, 2011

The Vatican Museums

One of the most famous tourist destinations in Rome, Italy are the Vatican Museums. On record, the Vatican Museums receive more than 4 million visitors a year. For me, one of the remarkable sections of the museums is the spiral staircase. I have not been there but I am amazed as I see it in photographs.

“The Vatican Museums trace their origin to one marble sculpture, purchased 500 years ago. The sculpture of Laocoön, the priest who, according to Greek mythology, tried to convince the people of ancient Troy not to accept the Greeks' "gift" of a hollow horse, was discovered 14 January 1506, in a vineyard near the basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome. Pope Julius II sent Giuliano da Sangallo and Michelangelo Buonarroti, who were working at the Vatican, to examine the discovery. On their recommendation, the pope immediately purchased the sculpture from the vineyard owner. The pope put the sculpture of Laocoön and his sons in the grips of a sea serpent on public display at the Vatican exactly one month after its discovery”. (wikipedia)

This is one place that I want to see for real. The collection of artifacts and sculptures arouse my imagination and interest. Unfortunately, going there physically is something I cannot do but at least through this virtual journey, I can say at least, I have been there.



Photograph by Artlover’s
Photographer's Profile:  
Photo Originally Posted At: 

I am not a Catholic but places where I can trace the history of the church attract me. Rome may not be the origin of Christianity but it has played an immense influence in the lives of the early saints and the early church.

Those who are interested to visit the Vatican Museums, here is a link to their official website. Just click the image below.





The two images at the top are courtesy of Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll