Custom Search

From the Author

Let us pause for a while and take a peek at the fascinating wonders of nature, the majesty and the glory of God's creation and the spectacle of human engineering. Unfortunately, I cannot go to these places in as much as I want to so, I’m just taking this virtual expedition. I hope you can join me in this online adventure.

-Arnel S. Oroceo, the Author


Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Amazing Belize Blue Hole

Photo of the Great Blue Hole of Belize courtesy of beautyofearth.net

After hiking, I’d like to go diving. I have featured here the Tubatahha Reef, one of the most popular diving spot in the Philippines. I’d like to out this time, to a distant location- Belize, a country in Central America. I have learned about Belize when I blogged about the Guatemala Sink Hole on my other blog- Amazing People and Events (I considered the sink hole a peculiar phenomenon or event). As I have read about sink holes, I've learned about the Great Blue Hole of Belize, which is a pre-historic sink hole.

The Belize Blue Hole has a circular opening and the water is royal blue in color. It is around 984 feet in diameter and 407 feet deep. Scientists calculate its age through stalactite formations, which goes as far as 153 thousand years ago. It is a home to a variety of underwater fauna and flora and has become a UNESCO world heritage site.

Filmaker, explorer and researcher Jacques-Yves Cousteau made the Great Blue Hole famous when he brought his ship, the Calypso to it in 1971 and declared it a great diving site. Since then, many adventurers were attracted to its mystery and beauty.

The Great Blue Hole of Belize fascinates me beyond words. I definitely cannot explore its hidden splendor and what lies awaiting under its deep blue color but maybe some videos may give us an idea of what’s down there. Here is a You Tube video clip of Belize with divers from Big Fish Dive Center filmed by Philippe Madeira.


1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    The blue hole is a popular tourist attraction for the country of Belize. The blue hole of Belize has long fascinated mankind with its effortless beauty and dark, forbidding depths. This is one of the most treasured and sought after diving spots in the Western hemisphere. Thank you...

    Belize Vacation

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll