Custom Search

From the Author

Let us pause for a while and take a peek at the fascinating wonders of nature, the majesty and the glory of God's creation and the spectacle of human engineering. Unfortunately, I cannot go to these places in as much as I want to so, I’m just taking this virtual expedition. I hope you can join me in this online adventure.

-Arnel S. Oroceo, the Author


Thursday, May 14, 2009

A Subterranean River


Leading the race for the New Seven Wonders of the World is another place here in the Philippines that I would like to see for myself. I have heard people talk about their experience in visiting that wonder of nature. I must admit that heir stories arouse my curiosity. Unfortunately, my physical condition constrains me from going there. However, for those who are physically and financially capable, the place is surely worthy of visit.

I am referring to The Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park, which is located about 50 km north of the city of Puerto Princesa, Palawan in western Philippines. It boasts of a limestone karsts mountain landscape with an 8.2 km navigable underground river that winds through a cave before flowing directly into the South China Sea. Inside that cave are major formations of stalactites and stalagmites, and several large chambers although the lower portion of the river is subject to tidal influences. At the mouth of the cave, ancient trees growing right to the water's edge frame a clear lagoon. Monkeys, large monitor lizards, and squirrels find their niche on the beach near the cave. Experts believe that this is the longest subterranean river in the world.


In fact, the Puerto Prinsesa Subterranean River has been nominated in the new Seven Wonders of the World and its doing well in the voting. Well, I hope that those who are thinking of a place to visit one of these days would consider visiting this subterranean river in Puerto Prinsesa Palawan.



Info and Photo:
www.new7wonders.com/nature/en/nominees/asia/c/PuertoPrincesa


To cast your vote for the New Seven Wonders of the World, click the link below:
http://www.new7wonders.com/nature/en/liveranking/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogroll